Case Studies & Blog
Thank you to Oliver Carpenter from Mumbo Jumbo for sending us this artists report on their live show, performed under Covid Safe Conditions on the 18th December 2020.
Mumbo-Jumbo – Live Performance in Covid 19 Conditions
Venue: Hartlebury Parish Hall, Worcestershire
Scheme: Live & Local Date: 18 December 2020
Regulars on the Rural Touring circuit, singer-songwriting trio Mumbo-Jumbo were asked to put on a full live performance at Hartlebury Parish Hall on 18th December 2020 under very carefully controlled conditions developed by the venue team, Live & Local and the performers. While the arrangements were fundamental it was also important to see whether, throughout the performance, it would feel like real entertainment without a cloud of conditions hanging over it.
Hartlebury Parish Hall is a 100 capacity modern village hall serving a large village which was in Tier 2 at the time. The promoters had selected a two-set performance with a short interval.
Mumbo-Jumbo has three performers and a technician, all from different households.
With so much at stake the venue, scheme, and performers all fully understood the importance of getting both the planning and the delivery right. Following regular Zoom discussions Covid 19 specific Risk Assessment documents were prepared by both venue and performers and a room capacity of 30 was decided upon.
Areas covered included;
- Full Social Distancing – including movement routing, toilet arrangements, arrival, set up and departure programmes
- for performers and audience, performer distancing etc.
- Ticketing & Registration – including pre-purchase only, named audience, NHS app etc.
- PPE and Conditions – including wearing of masks throughout (other than on stage) for performers and audience,
- ventilation and cleaning down procedures.
- Catering – There was no bar or food (bring your own) and no hospitality for the performers.
So How Did It Feel?
From a performing point of view, once the stage lights came on and everyone’s attention was on the music it felt like a gig. The audience laughed and clapped in all the right places, the interaction of everyone in the room seem to build with each song and the shape and pattern of the evening.