H.A.N.D.S Company/Artist Call Out – Rural Touring North of England
Are you a company that has an existing performance piece that you are interested in adapting for a range of venues and space options but need advice?
Do you work across the North of England or are you interested in rural touring to venues across Cumbria, Lancashire, East and North Yorkshire, North Lincolnshire, County Durham and Cheshire?
Have you considered rural touring as an option?
The Northern Consortium of Rural Touring Schemes is opening a call out for four professional companies from any performing arts context to be part of our project H.A.N.D.S Programme supported by the rural touring schemes ArtERY Live, Cheshire Rural Touring Arts, Highlights Rural Touring, Live Lincs, Rural Arts and Spot On and funded through Arts Council England in 2022.
H.A.N.D.S (Helping, artists, needs, develop, sustainably) is an 18-month mentoring programme working with 8 diverse-led emerging small-scale touring companies. The activity builds on a Pitching & Mentoring initiative across 6 rural touring schemes that ended in 2020.
The programme aims to support companies to:
- Build a sustainable and resilient touring model
- Develop new work for community venues and libraries
- Develop innovative and flexible approaches to presenting work
- Enhance artistic practice and produce high quality and adventurous work
- Support artists to adapt work for live and online settings
This is achieved through:
- Allocation of a specific RTS mentor for each company
- Workshops and 1-2-1 sessions with industry mentors and experienced rural touring artists/companies
- Commissioning online resources
- Training in pitching and mentoring, marketing, bid writing and audience engagement
- Training in covid 19 compliance (if necessary/relevant)
- Artist residencies in rural venues
- Provide experience of showcasing work to RT promoters – NRTF conference (Buxton 13-15 Jun 22)
How to apply
If you are keen to take part in H.A.N.D.S in the period March – November 2022 then please apply to be considered. Funds are available to support the above listed aspects and include costs covered for mentoring meetings, online pitching workshops, mentoring on any aspect of rural touring or adaption of your work (dramaturg, scenery adapter, marketing support, small scale touring planning and funding etc) your time and a place at the NRTF Conference in June.
Previous H.A.N.D.S programme companies have gone on to book dates/tours with rural touring schemes and small venues including through the Northern Consortium of Rural Touring Schemes in the North of England. The skills and mentoring offered allows for relationship building with promoters, scheme managers, programmers and bookers across the North of England and across the UK.
Open Call – submission deadline Tuesday 15 March 10pm.
Selection Process Companies are considered by a panel of Rural Touring Scheme Managers and the H.A.N.D.S coordinator and will be confirmed by not later than 31 March 2022.
To apply please email the coordinator at email@example.com for full application details.