Rural Touring Mechanics: October 2021
Rural Touring Mechanics
This Autumn the NRTF, The Place and the RTDI (Rural Touring Dance Initiative) are teaming up to bring you an online course for artists covering the nuts and bolts of Rural Touring.
Rural Touring Mechanics will be a series of sessions designed to teach you everything you need to know to get your show ready for Rural Touring. From how a Rural Touring Scheme works to how to apply for funding. You’ll get the opportunity to hear from experienced Rural Touring Artists, Promoters and Scheme Managers
When is it?
The sessions will take place over six half days in the first two weeks of October. There is a full timetable of sessions at the bottom of this page.
- Monday 4th: 10am – 1pm
- Wednesday 6th: 10am – 1pm
- Friday 8th: 10am – 1pm
- Monday 11th: 10am – 1pm
- Wednesday 13th: 10am – 1pm
- Friday 15th: 10am – 1pm
Who is it for?
The sessions are for artists and producers, from all disciplines and at all career levels, that are keen to learn how to adapt or make work for rural touring. The sessions will cover how to approach getting your show programmed by rural touring schemes, what makes a show appropriate for rural venues and audiences, and how rural touring can work alongside mid-scale touring, and your other ambitions.
There will also be a selection of sessions that may appeal to experienced Rural Touring Artists. A full schedule will be made available when registration opens.
How will it be delivered?
All the sessions will be delivered online. There will be one central platform, Notion, which will be our ‘hub.’ The sessions will all involve a live element so that you can interact with our speakers and each other. Once you have registered via Eventbrite, you will be sent an email with details of how to set up an account and access Notion.
We will use a variety of online tools to deliver these sessions in order to give you the best experience possible. Some of these tools you will be familiar with such as Zoom, and others may be new to you, but we will guide you through how to use each tool along the way.
We are aiming to make all our sessions as accessible as possible, but if you have any questions or requirements please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
How much is it?
Rural Touring Mechanics is free for all.
When and Where can I register?
You will need to register for the whole event in order to receive all the information you need to access the sessions. We will be sending the registration link out via the email list, and the details will be shared across our social media platforms, including the Facebook Event which you can join here.
Please note attending Rural Touring Mechanics does not guarantee you will receive tour dates with Schemes. Its aim is to help artists and producers become better equipped to approach rural touring schemes and create and adapt work for rural venues.
Will the sessions be recorded?
All of our sessions have been designed so that you will get the most out of them if you attend “live” however a number will be recorded and available to watch back at a later date. You will still need to register for the event as a whole in order to access any of the live or recorded sessions. The sessions listed in the timetable below with an ‘R’ afterwards will be recorded.
- 10am – 11.20am – Welcome and Key Note Speech – R
- 11.30am – 1pm – Rural Touring – The National Context; The Good the Bad and The Ugly – R
- 10am – 11.20am – What does touring rurally look like? – R
- 11.40 – 1pm – Hearing from the schemes; how schemes select work and programme it into venues – R
- 10am – 11.20am – Artists take over – How rural touring has influenced the way I work …… – R
- 11.40 – 1pm – Networking and discussion of content so far
- 10am-11.10am – Rural Touring – its not all about Village Halls ! – R
- 11.20 – 12.15 – Working in libraries
- 12.20 – 1pm – All things technical – R
- 10am – 10.45am – Finance – R
- 10.50am – 11.40pm – All things Staging and Design – R
- 11.45 – 12.15 – Accessibility issues to consider when touring rurally – R
- 12.10 – 1pm – Marketing – R
- 10am – 11am – Producing/Budgeting /Tour booking – R
- 11.10am – 12pm – The Future for Rural Touring post Covid and the future of Digital work in the sector -R
- 12pm-1pm – What Next?
ALSO IN THIS SECTION
The TeamRead More
Jobs & OpportunitiesRead More
Join NRTF for full access
Looking for Artists, Performers, Promoters and Venues to give the rural arts movement a stronger voiceJoin NowMembers login